Monday, March 12, 2012

Crispy Pork Binagoongan (Crispy Pork in Shrimp Paste Sauce)


Hitting your 40s is like slamming on the brakes after going 100kph on the freeway. What used to be a carefree life is replaced by worries about your expanding waistline and cholesterol numbers. I went to my doctor recently and truth be told I'm now officially on a watch list for heart disease. So does it mean a life sentence of cardboard tasting food and medication? I hope not and don't plan to just accept it. Like my Dad always says, "There are no off-limit foods. Just limit your portions." And I agree. One shouldn't deprive himself of good food otherwise you'll end up binging on so many other things with disastrous results.

Here's my game plan. I will get off my chair and exercise. I will slowly taper off my consumption of diet soda to which I am addicted and replace it with water. I will limit my meat intake to 5 to 6 times a week instead of 12 to 14. I will double my consumption of fruits and vegetables. And this last part which will break my heart is I will limit my intake of sweets and desserts. Sensible plan, right? None of the plans I mentioned said anything about totally cutting off any food group. Just limiting portions and making sensible choices. Good plan. Here's to success! *fingers crossed

To bid adieu to my less-than-ideal ways, here's a sinful treat for all the serial dieters out there. Crispy Pork Binagoongan combines the best of both worlds: the crunch of lechon kawali (pork crackling) and bagoong (shrimp paste). Salty, spicy and crunchy. Sigh...the stuff of cravings.

Whew! Good luck to us!

Crispy Pork Binagoongan

1 kilo pork ribs, cut into 1.5 inch pieces
1 medium onion, halved
1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
1 liter water for boiling pork
2 tablespoon sea salt
2 cups oil for frying
2 tablespoons canola oil
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 medium onion, minced
2 big ripe tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup bottled bagoong (sauteed shrimp paste)
3 pieces finger chili

Directions:
  1. In a pan, boil pork ribs in water with onion and peppercorns until tender.
  2. Remove pork from stock and season with salt.
  3. Heat oil and fry pork pieces till golden and crispy. Set aside.
  4. In another pan, heat oil and saute garlic, onions and tomatoes.
  5. Add in bagoong, water and chilis. Simmer for 5 minutes.
  6. Right before serving, toss in crispy pork in bagoong sauce.
  7. Serve immediately.
Serves 8.




No comments: