Linguini a la Vongole
1 lb. linguini
3 tablespoons olive oil
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 kilo Manila clams, cleaned
1 cup white wine or water
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons butter
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
2 to 3 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1. In a pot of salted boiling water, cook linguini until al dente. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in pan and add garlic. Saute until fragrant.
3. Add Manila clams, salt, pepper and water. Cover and let boil until clams are open about 5 minutes.
4. Add butter.
5. Toss in cooked linguini.
6. Sprinkle pepper flakes and flat-leaf parsley on top.
7. Serve warm with garlic bread.
Note: If you can't get fresh clams in shells, you can use 200 grams of frozen shelled clams from the supermarket. They cook quicker so be careful not to overcook them.
Photo courtesy of The Italian Fork.